WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST EXECUTIVE RESUME CHALLENGE?
Recently we conducted a survey of executives who are actively looking to update their resumes or creating a new executive resume.
Our question was quite simple: "What is your biggest resume challenge?". While there was quite a variety of responses, 3 out of 4 executives identified one of top five resume challenges.
In this post, I will identify these most common executive resume challenges. In the future articles, I will explore how to address each and every one of them.
Top 5 Executive Resume Challenges
According to executiveresume.com's recent survey, here are the top executive resume challenges:
1. Making my resume look more "executive" (35%)
2. Changing an industry (12%)
3. Communicating career achievements in the most impactful manner (10%)
4. In same job for many years, so have not done resume in a long time (8%)
5. Looking for a certain very specific position (8%)
It's worth noting that while challenges #2 through 5 are very specific in their nature, the #1 challenge is both very critical and also quite fuzzy.
What does that even mean - making a resume look more "executive"? Is it about the formatting and the executive resume template used to create the look-and-feel? Or is it about including certain keywords using some executive resume samples or examples as a blueprint?
In our 25+ years of executive resumes, we've narrowed the success down to these 3 essentials:
- All key elements (content, structure and presentation), not just formatting, must be executive-grade
- At its very core, resume has a strong headline and a powerful branding statement
- Progressive track record of quantified business impact expressed with many, many numbers
We know this topic inside and out so well, we've actually written a book on it! This "10 Secrets of Effective Executive Resumes" is available here for free.
GET IT CLEAR IN YOUR MIND, THEN GET IT DONE
Want to make your resume look more "executive"? First, take a few minutes to learn from the professionals what makes a resume an "executive resume". Then, follow the best practices to design your executive resume. And definitely explore some executive resume tools to help you write your resume quickly and with confidence!